NIST - National Institute of Standards and Technology
NIST contributes to the research, standards and data required to realize the full promise of artificial intelligence (AI) as a tool that will enable American innovation, enhance economic security and improve our quality of life. Much of our work focuses on cultivating trust in the design, development, use and governance of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies and systems. We are doing this by:
- Conducting fundamental research to advance trustworthy AI technologies and understand and measure their capabilities and limitations.
- Applying AI research and innovation across NIST laboratory programs.
- Establishing benchmarks and developing data and metrics to evaluate AI technologies.
- Leading and participating in the development of technical AI standards.
- Contributing to discussions and development of AI policies, including supporting the National AI Advisory Committee.
- Hosting the NIST Trustworthy & Responsible AI Resource Center providing access to a wide range of relevant AI resources.